Our social work seems to be convinced eventually when I mentioned that we received our naturalization without birth certificates for the US government understand this history. However, we are told that we must provide her a child abuse clearance letter in order for the director to sign our home study report. Hague rules that anyone who is over 18 years old and lives anywhere over 6 months must submit this clearance letter by local authority.
I immediately contacted Chinese embassies in the US and one officer told me that I need to fly back to China and get it in person. We consider flying to China, but find out airfare is very expensive because of the Olympic Games in August in Beijing. No other suggestions were given by our agency, besides recommend us not to fly to China.
I called Chinese embassy at another location and was told that we can have relatives or friends get it for us.
I made a phone call to a residential office in Shanghai where we used to live before I ask my relative go there. A lady answered my phone showed her interests in the topic and discussed with me whether it should be moral or criminal issue. She thought it is a moral issue, then she won't provide me a child abuse clearance letter. She can issue me a criminal clearance letter. I asked if she would write me a note that indicates they don't have this kind of system. She said, "okay".
What a relief after many phone calls and days of frustration, I am excited. I gave her my address, then I am told we don't belong to her residential district, although my address is only one block away from her district. I have to call another place.
Oh, no. I have to start over again.